It was a sweet weekend in London with a Parliament tour into both the House of Commons and the House of Lords. I was unable to take pictures, but here's a link about Parliament if you'd like to learn more. http://www.parliament.uk/education/online-resources/parliament-explained/the-commons-and-lords/
It was a beautiful building with high ceilings, a chapel, and areas to discuss and debate legislation. It is said that Parliament is sinking into the Thames River, and someday it may need to be moved. When in Parliament, I was able to hear Big Ben chime for the 11th hour which was a neat experience. After Parliament, we went to Westminster Abbey! This is the church where many of the royal ceremonies have taken place including the most recent Royal Wedding. It was a beautiful church with elaborate altars and stained-glass windows! I was unable to take pictures once again, but here's a link more about it: http://www.westminster-abbey.org/
After the Abbey, I went to Camden Town which is an area with open air markets. I had a fun adventure with some of my friends taking the double decker busses to and from there to get back to the London Underground!
On Sunday, I went to Hillsong Church in London which was held at the Apollo Theatre! It was an awesome worship service, and it was sweet to sing a lot of Hillsong songs! From there, I went to St. Paul's for a traditional service. It was such an experience to go from contemporary to very traditional back to back, but both services were awesome in their own ways. The organ and choir at St. Paul's Cathedral for Evensong was so amazing with the perfect acoustics. From church, I went to Harrods Department Store and walked around seeing a small part of the gigantic store. The toy section was like a child's dream come true with most any toy one could imagine having!
On Monday(today), I went to Stonehenge via Salisbury. Salisbury was a cute quaint English town where I had a nice baguette sandwich for lunch. Stonehenge was very neat to experience. The setting is out in the country with beautiful rolling hills, crops, sheep, and cattle. It was peaceful to be away from the big city. At Stonehenge, there are ancient burial mounds which you can hike around and on, the stones in a circle, and a few gift and food shops. The rocks were very neat and large, and it is so mysterious to how they got there and were assembled as they are.
Tomorrow, I'll be leaving London feeling like a Londoner. I have learned so much about London, and I've grown accustomed to the culture. It is a wonderful city which I am so grateful I've had the chance to explore, and I'm looking forward to Barcelona.
Cheers London, Hola Espana!
No comments:
Post a Comment